February 28, 2007

RARE Mego 1977 BATMAN'S WAYNE FOUNDATION PLAY SET

Here's a Holy Grail to both Vintage Batman & 1970's Mego Collectors. It's called the BATMAN'S WAYNE FOUNDATION. Basically it's a playset of the building owned by Bruce Wayne that was made by Mego in 1977 for the 8" action figures/dolls. The front looks like a commercial building & the other side shows the "Batcave" that is hidden inside. Both the original box & actual toy are HUGE!! When built the building is over 40 inches tall. I have always wanted one of these because I thought it would be a great item to display loose Mego Dolls of Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, & Bruce Wayne. This baby is so SUPER-RARE it's what we toy people call a "Museum Piece"!
Be sure to check the BAT-BLOG ARCHIVES for many more Vintage Batman Toys including Mego, Corgi, Ideal, Kenner, Marx, Irwin, etc...

3 comments:

Tommy Day said...

Wow, that's awesome! Sadly, I missed the boat on Megos, but I'd love to get some. What's your thoughts on the new Batman Legos?

Tommy
www.SaturdayMorningCentral.com

Tommy! said...

Sorry it tooke me awhile to reply, I just figured out how to respond to the comments section...ha ha!

I love the new Batman Lego playsets, they're awesome! I noticed the other day that Toys-R-Us has the HUGE Batmobile on Clearance, down to $50.00 instead of $70.00. Ya need to keep an eye on those because they could go lower, way lower. TRU is kinda wacky that way!

Anonymous said...

Wow, do I feel like an idiot now that I find out how rare a collectible it has become. I got this for X-mas all those years ago (though I'm not sure if I ever saw the box because I think my parents had already assembled it by the tree), but I don't recall what eventually happened to it. It was probably sold for peanuts at a garage sale years later when I was older, which probably happened to my few Mego Bat figures also (Batman, Robin, Riddler and possibly Joker and/or Penguin). I similarly don't recall what happened to my Six Million Dollar Man playset that was an inflatable dome (apparently Mission Coltrol Center), along with my Steve Austin doll and the villain doll (apparently called Maskatron) w/ interchangeable faces. I remember having fun w/ the Wayne FOundation set and I remember those odd yellow saw-toothed plastic connectors for the floors. As much as I wish I still had it, there's not really room for it in my meager dwelling and I'd probably end up selling it in these bad financial times anyways.

Maybe having owned the Wayne Foundation playset was my payback for my parents never buying me those large Shogun Warriors dolls that fired plastic things for kids to swallow accidentally (which reminds me that I misplaced the 'bullets' from those 3 mini BSG ships I had: Viper, Cylon and that moonrover thing.

Thanks for this website bringing back some memories of one of the best toys my parents ever bought me (along w/ my glow in the dark Tyco racetrack set I got a few years later from the Sears catalog).